Saturday 19 April 2014

Proper final postcards

So basically I am trying to add Brunel's portrait to my stamps. 
On a new document I tried to edit Brunel's portrait.

These are before and after I edited it.

Stamps are small (50x30mm) so I have to scale down the portrait and this happened. This made me decided not to put Brunel's portrait on my stamps and perhaps put it on my postcards.

Pasted it on the postcard's document and after had a few minutes thought, I decided to place the portrait at the top left. I don't know why but I think that is the best and most convenient place to put his portrait. 

Scaled down. The same situation happened when I scaled down the portrait but at least postcard's size is bigger than stamp's so the audience would be able to see the portrait and its detail more.

I had to change the weight of the stroke. The portrait and the bridges'/ships' illustrations are overlapping so I need to rescale and reposition them.

I thought overlapping illustration might look good but when I looked at this I knew I was wrong and definitely need to rescale and reposition the bridges and ships illustrations.

I moved the illustration down slightly and I think there is too much negative space at the top.

I tried to scale down the portrait.

I tried to make sure the portrait align with the bridge. 

Overall I don't like it, as the portrait and overall layout look wrong. What if I move the text next to the portrait.

I tried to make the typography and the portrait align.

I changed the portrait's background and frame colour to make it and the typography work as a set.

But it still looks wrong. I wonder how can I make these illustrations (Brunel's portrait and the bridge) connect to each other.

After a few hours in a battle to make everything look neat and align, I agreed that these are my final postcards and yes, I used grids to make everything neat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment