Sunday 6 April 2014

clifton suspension bridge

I know I keep saying to not stay with my comfort zone (which by using Illustrator) but I can't be help. I think it is a good choice for this brief as Illustrator is vector based software as I have to design stamps, postcards and An A2 poster.

I started of with clifton suspension bridge . I could not find the right image so I had to use two different images and combined them into one illustration.

Figure 1 and figure 2
Figure 1 - I used this image for the tower on my illustration.
Figure 2 - I used this image for the wires.

Figure 3 and figure 4
The tower and the wires does not look/work as a set. So I decided to change the tower to lines illustration like figure 5

Figure 5 and figure 6
Figure 6 - I made the bridge and Brunel's illustration on a separate document so I had to create a new document 


 to use figure 3's document (from my previous post (click here))and copand 
does not work as a set - brunel and the bridge

Figure 7
changed brunet's illustration to outlined illustration style. it look quite empty. So I decided to look at blue print in more depth. I went on goole images and searched 'Blue print'




  • Blue background and white coloured illustrations
  • Remind me of Micael Craig Martin
  • Illustration - linear but intricate
  • A thin white line around the edges = frame

Figure 8 
I tried to do a blue print style. I think it would work if I edit the Brunel's illustration and make it more neat.

 
Figure 9
I tried to redraw Brunel's portrait by using the brush tool in the Illustrator. It looks so simple and I don't like it. I Might look for other solution.

I want my postcard to have a border at least 3mm.

 I tried some details.
I tried to add a bit of depth but it looks wrong so I might keep the illustration flat.


I am trying to think - I do not know how to make the wire and the road work as a set.I might need to look back at the photograph.

i am trying to make the bridge wire and the road work as a set as I thought it looks wrong with an outlined wire and with the full colour road illustration.

I added the weidth of the bridge wire and make the road and the wire grey colour to make them work as a set as shown on the photograph. I also added some details e.g. the bricks which taking me forever to do but it came out pretty well. Anyway, before I go any further, I just want to see how's my bridge's illustration looks like with my Brunel's illustration. I think they look good together but the sky looks empty so I might insert some clouds.

Cloud - the ellipse tool> right click > group

This is how it looks like when I added few clouds. I think this postcard would look finish even I add some vehicles. I think I need to tidy up Brunel's portrait. One second.

I edited the bottom edges of his portrait

This is the final looks of my first Brunel's postcard.

No comments:

Post a Comment