Friday 24 January 2014

Snails

I know my book is about snails but I had problems about digitising the snails itself. 
This is my 1st experimentation on a snail
I don't like it as I don't think it looks professional enough for a degree student and the swirl does not look right . 
I tried to put it on my 'pattern page' but nahh, I said to myself 'c'mon Zatul, you can do better than that'
Matt told me 'If you don't like it, change it'. So I decided to go back to traditional collage inspired by one of my illustrator, Morita MiW.

So I created this.

So basically this is like a template for me to digitise my snails.
I have tried to use this traditional collage snail for my final but I though it does not look/work as a set with my style of digital illustrations.
(oh yeah I added the eyes and the mouth but nah, I don't like it)

 However, I still used it as a template. So what I did was..
Frame one (3rd story) was my main snail template - I live traced my drawing of snails. 
I was very happy. It took me ages to figure it out. So yeah. I used the same Photoshop technique as usual. Changed the Hue & Saturation if needed.
And these are my beautiful little snails.

Snail 1 and 2

Snail 3 and 4


Snail 5 and 6


Snail 7 and 8
Snail 9 and 10
Snail 11
I tried to make the shells look pretty(?) as shells have lot's of shades,colours and patterns. 
By hoping making these snails simplified, it would still be recognisable in a small scale = snails are small - tried to used as much as brown colour as possible as snails = brown colour.
 I created swirl pattern on purpose using paint and my fingers so I could use it for shell and it works ! (snail 10). WIN.
I designed this snails on A5 landscape size. I am just really scared if my illustrations turn out blurred.
On Photoshop, I grouped the sail(?).
e.g. 'Group 1' have all the layers and 'group copy 1' have the merged version of a snail so when I want to copy it on to the actual page, I could just *click click* copied and pasted it.
Urgh, I don't know how to explain this, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment