Tuesday 18 March 2014

Transport

I kept changing my ideas from Avatar the Last Airbender, to flying transport, to cars, to trains, and lastly to escalators. I found it difficult to illustrate stuff from different angles and depths. I don't know if this counts as cheating but I found a photograph which I had taken in London a few years ago and traced it. I changed the figures and the layout slightly.

^This is the photo (Y)


Sketch 1 and sketch 2
By using a light box, I traced the photograph (Y) and created sketch 1. There are a few errors such as 
  • the cat's hand looks weird
  • the cat's clothes look wrong
  • the light bulbs do not look the same - some of them are sharper than the others.
  • the panel's angle at the back looks wrong
  • the people behind the goat look wrong - the angle
Because there were  too many errors, I decided to redraw by using tracing paper (sketch 2). Then I scanned>digital painted in Photoshop. I forgot to add the wood texture for sketch 2 so I had to manipulate wood pattern on sketch 1 into sketch 2 in Photoshop.


Figure 1
 I digitally painted my drawing in Photoshop by using the pen tool. I decided to use pastel colours as I think they are attractive and I did use pastel colour pallet in OUIL406 and it was success.


Figure 2 and 3
I had a problem with mixing two colours into one. At first I used the brush tool and it came out with figure two but then I realised I could use the gradient tool (G) and this worked (figure 3). I still needed to use the lasso tool around the area so the gradient effect would not affect the rest of the drawing.

Figure 4 and figure 5
I am really bad at adding shade. Actually this is my first artwork where I played with shade. My inspiration was Kate Hindly and I looked at how she added shade to her work so I tried to do the same. 
Figure 4 - I tried to add some blush but it looked wrong especially with the characters' expression looking pretty serious
  • Near the arms
  • Shadow - darker tone of colour - grey ?
  • Decided where the light is so all the shadows will be in the same direction 

I got a grey colour and just added some shade at the edges and shadowed part of the body and it did not turn as well as I expected. I think I needed to use a darker tone colour rather than grey colour (for shading)

Figure  6
I picked a darker tone of colour to add a shadow effect to my artwork and it worked. I needed to make sure all the shadows were on the same layer just in case I needed to change anything.

Figure 6 
This is how it looked and I am pleased with it. I think I am starting to like digital painting now. I thought applying shadow into your work would be hard but I was wrong. It took me less than five minutes. So hopefully, starting from now, I will put shadows within my work rather than leave it as flat illustration style.


I think my final artwork looks slightly different - I think this is due to the effect of tracing paper. 


No comments:

Post a Comment