Wednesday 11 June 2014

Studio Brief 3


Tiger :- (105mmx200mm). 
I know this isn't a great sketch but this is where the idea of 'caging tigers' came from.

These two are the original sketches. Left is the  pattern for the lines on the tiger's face

I image traced the pattern in Illustrator


I tried to put the wood pattern to represent the cage and tried to make it a repeated pattern but it did not work.

After I had a long thought, I decided to use the texture from OUIL403 (studio brief 1) as I think it got quite interesting texture and slightly look like wool. But I think it looks worster. 

I tried to change the colour to see if it look better but still, NO.

Then I decided to look at my 'pattern and texture' folder in my hard drive then I found this pattern that I made for my PPP brief.

I was debating either to make the cage's colour blue or red. After a long thought, i decided to choose red instead as personally i think the tiger feel angry because it have been lock up in a small cage - they do not have freedom like they did in wild.



Figure 1 and figure 2
Because the tiger is angry I decided to use figure 2's eyes as it have more angry feeling toward the illustration compared to the figure 1. The tiger in figure one look 'blank' and 'accepting the fate'?

Panda :- (200mmx200mm)
The idea behind my panda illustration is a panda have been put in a glass cage from the fact that panda have been placed in a small place at the zoo and the government spending a lot of money just to hire it.

This is the original idea sketch.


These are my two reference images for hand and panda.








With these 5 images (above) I manipulated them in Photoshop to create an illustration below

I used the lasso tool, erase tool and duplicated some layers for this illustration.

I then changed the level and add some nail then I image traced in Illustrator.

Even after I image traced the illustration, I still need to edit the illustrations. For example the panda's nail as on the right illustration, its nail is completely black. So in Photoshop, I used the erase and the brush tool to alter it.



I am debating either I should use the red or blue for the hand. I might go with the blue as there will be too much red if the hands are in red.



I real

Now I should add some colour and pattern for the table. I remember that I did a wood texture for the tiger but I did not use it so I decided to use it for this illustration. As usual I image traced it (as I am very obsess of making sure my illustration got neat outlines)

Me picking the right colour for the table.

On the original sketch, the panda got like a little mouth under the nose but I think after I coloured it in, the panda looks better without the mouth as it looks more upset.


Ready to be print.
I swear I will screen print this illustrations if the workshop still open next week on Monday. To be honest I like the colour and how i used shape but I don't like it when I only used the same shade of colour so I decided to experiment with other medias and techniques then manipulate them in Photoshop.
I used a red marker pen and a acrylic paint.

Figure 1 and figure 2
Then I manipulated them in Photoshop. I prefer figure two  because it look neater than figure 1. I don't think the tiger on figure 1 is working and does not look professional.

This was how I created the maker pen pattern. I used a piece of tracing paper as I don't have a light box with me.

Marker pen and acrylic paint.
I placed the marken pen pattern image in Photoshop. I used the magic wand tool then Cmd+X

Figure 3 and figure 4
Figure 3 - the blue bit is the acrylic paint that I changed the 'level' and the 'hue\saturated'

So after I done colouring the panda and the tiger's illustration, I realised that the red on those illustrations are different. This is because the red colour sheet are from 2 different sheets ? I Hue/Saturated it but it seems impossible to make the red colour identical. I think I need to start again -_- I need to use the same sheet of red for both illustration.

I get the red marken pen patten and changed the level and hue/saturated.

Manipulated it. 

3rd illustration (290x105mm) - for the 3rd illustration, I have an idea of 'puppet' - tigers and pandas have to do what have been told by the zookeeper e.g. all the timetable for eating, sleeping, people visiting are already there for the animals to be followed.

I got this idea from a mind-map that i did from my concept which is 'trapped'
So from trapped>> Cage, puppet and slavery.

And this is the original sketch.




My main reference images.




These three are the original sketches for this illustration. I manipulated them in Photoshop and image traced them in Illustrator.


This is the outcome .

I started to colour them in.

X and Y
I was experimenting with the eyes of the tiger. I think at this point, the eyes give a big impact - to show the tiger's emotion.  The emotion of the tiger on X's looks more blank and Y's looks sad.


This is the final outcome. 

Next : I will be going to the print room in Vernon Street (as I love it better over there compared to the one in Blenheim Walk) to screen print, hopefully it still open or else I'll cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment